Saturday, June 29, 2013

Miyajima, in Hiroshima

Itsukushima shrine in Miyajima is a World Heritage of UNESCO.  Some of my friends from other country came to see Miyajima. However, I've never visited. This time, as I went to Hiroshima University on Thursday and Friday, I decided to stay one more day in Hiroshima. From Hiroshima station, Miyajima is only 30 minutes by train. Then, I took a ferry from Miyajima-guchi to Miyajima.

Approaching to Miyajima
When the ferry approaching the Miyajima, it was hazy. So the gate of the Itsukushima shrine "Oh Torii" (Big Gate), was hard to recognize.
Welcome lady at the port
I arrived at the port of Miyajima. There, welcome ladies were distributing the map of this island. They wear traditional costume of this region. So cute!
Deer
Also deers welcome us around the port. They are not wild anymore because people feed them. So they come to see us or ask us for the food.
Oh-Torii from Miyajima side
After ten minutes walking, I could arrive at the Shrine. At first, we can find the Oh-Torii.
Oh-Torii and sweet couple deers.
I found sweet couples there. How I envy them! I wanted to come here with my boyfriend...
Shrine at the coast of Miyajima
 Anyway, Itsukushima shrine is at the coast of Miyajima. This is why the gate is in the water. Sometimes the shrine itself can be almost in the water.
Inside of Itsukushima shrine
 We can walk the aisle of the shrine. The floor is made by wood. If water comes, then the water can go through in between wooden pieces. Besides, the whole shrine can float. Therefore, this shrine is not destroyed and stays here for long years. This type of building is so rare and amazing!

After visiting the shrine, I went to the Museum of History and Folklore. 
Japanese garden of the museum

I couldn't take the photo of exhibitions, but I took the photo of the garden. The garden was very beautiful Japanese garden. There, I could learn when the shrine was built and how it became popular. Do you know "Tairano Kiyomori"? Actually "Taira" is his family name and "Kiyomori" is his first name. In Japanese we should pronouce "Taira Kiyomori" (without "no"). But we often pronounce "Taira-no-Kiyomori" (with "no"). And he was one of the most powerful governors in Japanese history. He was a Samurai but not related to the royal family. However, he got a power by his political technique. To show his power, he rebuilt the buildings of Itsukushima shrine which had been already in Miyajima. Some royal people visited this shrine after he rebuilt it.
Stairs to Daisho-in

This island is also famous with another big historical guy "Kobodaishi" or "Kukai". He was a high-level monk of Buddhism. "Daisho-in" is a temple built by Kukai. This temple is known as a temple with one-wish-realizing. It means if you wish something and pray there, this wish comes true. I wished one thing which I can't do anything by myself, and prayed for it. It is not directly related to me, but that's why it is impossible for me to work for that. So, it make sense to wish and prayed for it there.

Miyajima is famous for "Shamoji" which is a big spoon for rice. It became Miyajima's artisanal product in the end of Edo era (around 1789-1801) because this shape is similar to the instrument of Benzaiten (one lady god of Seven gods). Today, I found a guy who was drawing the portrait of tourists on the Shamoji. Anywhere in the world, we can find a guy of drawing portrait... I saw several in France (in Montmartre, Paris), and one in Hawaii (in Waikiki, Honolulu). I wonder if it is good for earning money ???

Momiji-manju

In Japan, if you go to touristic place, you can find at least one sweet which is popular in the area. It is Momiji-manju, in Miyajima. "Momiji" is a tree like a maple. The leaf of Momiji is similar to the maple but smaller and thinner. It also turns to red in fall. "Manju" is a type of sweet which has soft outer sponge and Anko (sweet red bean paste) inside. Normally, Anko is stuffed but there are lot of different paste inside such as chocolate, custard cream and cheese!
Today, I bought chocolate one.
Chocolate-stuffed Momiji-manju
Mmmm, yummy! I also found "Nama-Momiji" which has a little sticky outer sponge. The trick is to use some rice flour. This is goood, too. If you have chance to go there, please try some different types.

No comments: