Sunday, June 23, 2013

Shrine in the city

Today,  it was sunny even though it is rainy season in Japan. So, I decided to explore the city center of Nagoya. I left my home and walked to the nearest subway station, and took the subway to the station called "Yabasho". I was thinking to go to the cafe which is introduced in the tourist guide book of Nagoya. On the way, I received the phone call from my boyfriend in Hawaii. I can't talk over the phone in the subway. And then, I called back him at the shrine called "Wakamiya Hachiman Gu". There are many shrines in Japan and normally it is very quiet. That's why I started to talk with him by phone around the gate of shrine.

The gate of "Wakamiya Hachiman Gu"
The gate of Japanese shrine is called "Tori'i". You can maybe find it in Japanese garden somewhere in the world. People call the garden as "Zen Garden". However, "Zen" is one group or type of Buddhism and this gate (Tori'i) is one of Japanese original religion "Shintoism". So two of them are different!

Some other Tori'i gates in Wakamiya Hachiman Gu
There are many Tori'is in this shrine. It is interesting that some big shrine includes small shrines in their land. In general, they have many trees. So it is cool during the summer and it seems nice to take a break. However, you have to be very careful with mosquitoes. I was bitten several places by mosquitoes while I was talking (around 30 minutes). 

Main building of Wakamiya Hachiman Gu
 I was concerned that the god here would feel bad if I stay here and talk for a while without saying  hello to him/her. Therefore, I prayed at the main building before calling. It is like saying "hello" to the god here.

 Later, I went to the cafe near this shrine. It is introduced in the guide. I thought it might be very good cafe. However, I felt it is fine but not so so good. The taste of the food was moderate and the building was old. There were an air conditioner in the cafe making much wind because the building was old and the heat of cooking stays in the room. It was necessary to have such strong machine. For me, strong wind coming to my head directly and it was not so comfortable. Some people may think that "it is a cozy cafe in an old beautiful building". For me... hmmm difficult.

I started to read a book about psychology in the cafe. I became feeling like to read more and more... So I went to the book shop and bought the book about counseling. I am not counselor, while I guess the method for listening to someone's talk will be helpful for my professional and private life. I was happy to find a book which seems interesting. I also found the book about "Ho'oponopono". Ho'oponopono is a Hawaiian word means "practice of reconciliation and forgiveness". The book was close to the book of psychology. Hmmm, it might be interesting to read about Ho'oponopono. So I decided to buy one of the book about it next time. (It seems my mind is still in Hawaii even I am in Nagoya now).

No comments: