Saturday, June 01, 2013

Nagoya and Hawaii

I moved to Nagoya, Japan on May 29th. I organized inside my apartment which is much smaller than the apartment in Hawaii. I can't have a good view from the window. I don't have a big balcony. However, it is fine because I feel safe even without a security of the building. This is an amazing point of our country!

Today, I visited Nagoya Hawai'i Festival today. It was cloudy. In spite of such unpleasant weather, many people were enjoying this festival. I was thinking a reason why I visited this festival... I think I miss Hawaii even though I didn't really like to live in Honolulu. It's surprising for me to miss Hawaii!

I found several things which I liked in Hawaii.

Matsumoto Shave Ice from Haleiwa
When I visited Haleiwa with my friends, we bought some goods at Matsumoto shave ice. Shave ice is called "Kakigori (カキ氷)" in Japanese and I guess Hawaiian shave ice is imported to Hawaii by immigrants from Japan. "Matsumoto" is Japanese family name.
Garlic shrimp
I like several things among Hawaiian cuisine. One of them is this, Garlic shrimp! Whenever I went North shore in Oahu, I ate garlic shrimps. Also, I got garlic shrimp from the International Market place in Waikiki from time to time. I liked Blue Water's garlic shrimp. I also tried to cook myself. The secret of this taste is... Tomato! (just a little bit). I didn't eat garlic shrimp today, but I know it is delicious.

Hall for Hula concert and shops (Oasis 21)
 Not only foods, but also Hula dance attracted many people. Look, how many people were gathering in the hall! At that time, there were invited dancers from Hawaii performed Hula.
Hula dance of Hawaiian dancer
In Honolulu, I often saw "Hawaiian" dancers. However, it is very rare to see them here in Nagoya. That's why many people pay attention to their dance. The enthusiasm for Hula of people in Nagoya is amazing!! Actually, there are many Hula schools in Nagoya. It is very interesting because I didn't find any Hula school in Europe. Japanese likes Hawaii very much in general.

the Gallery of Heather Brown

I also found the interesting thing. Do you know Heather Brown? She is an artist living in Hawaii, but she is not Hawaiian. She is from mainland of United States. It was a bit weird to have a gallery only for her. There are many local artists in Hawaii and I like their works. However, masterpieces of others are not introduced here. I guess it is because Japanese company promotes Heather's work. One gallery in Honolulu who exhibit many Heather's work is owned by Japanese guy. It means... if an artist can catch the heart of this Japanese company, his/her work will be well treated with Japanese as a symbol of Hawaii, I guess...

Strangely, I found another place to miss... Switzerland!

Bakery from Switzerland
Look at the flag! It is Swiss bakery in the same building of Hawaii Festival. I went inside and found Japanese bread. Oh no! Where is "Tresse"? I couldn't find some typical Swiss bread. Tresse is everywhere in Switzerland especially during weekend. This bakery is too modified for Japanese. I found Anpan, Melonpan etc... which I can't find in Switzerland.

Chocolate café of Lindt
I found another Swiss shop in Sakae area (the center of Nagoya city). You know that Switzerland is famous for milk chocolate! One company opened a chocolate café there. I bought some milk chocolate which I often bought when I was in Switzerland.

I was exhausted today by walking a lot around Sakae area, but it was fun! I'd like to find more interesting things in Nagoya.

No comments: