Thursday, April 18, 2013

Last Trip to Big Island

 I went to many times to Big Island (Hawaii Island), but this is the last chance during this stay (1 year from April 2012) in Hawaii. The trip in March supposed to be a last trip, but I got another chance to visit Big Island because my friend came to Hawaii for her vacation and she wanted to visit Big Island. She asked me to show the volcano which I worked for one year. Yes, I showed her the fantastic nature of this volcano!

The last shot of Halemaʻumaʻu Crater.
We looked Halemaʻumaʻu crater from the overlook beside the Jagger Museum. Do you know Dr. Jagger ?? He is a founder of the Hawaii Volcano Observatory. Last year (2012) was a 100th year for Hawaii Volcano Observatory and they made memorial coins of quarters.
Memorial quarter for 100 years of Hawaii Volcano Observatory
We also looked my field (Pu' Puai/Kilauea Iki) and Thurston Lava tube.
The day we went to the Volcano National Park, we were very tired to arrive at a hotel in Kona because we couldn't find the hotel in Hilo side. It was because of Merrie Monarch Festival. It must have been great if I could see the festival. It is the top Hula competition in Hawaii! I love to see the Hula dance. Anyway, do you know how long does it take from the Volcano national park to Kona??
We took more than two and a half hours. When we arrived at the hotel, it was already around 8pm.  The road was dark and narrow... Next time, I strongly wish to have an accommodation in Hilo side or close to the volcano.

By the way, it has been 10 years since I visited Kona town last time. It was the time I came to attend the conference called Cities on Volcanoes 3. We went to see the Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National History park. It was nice to see the traditional Hawaiian site. Especially, I was happy to see the place related to Queen Ka'ahumanu and King Kamehameha 1st. Actually, I started to like the history and culture in Hawaii because I read the book about the bibliography of King Kamehameha 1st (Link to the amazon of this book). It is written in Japanese by Japanese author (it's a pity that English speakers can't read this). Their life was romantic and dramatic if the book tells the truth. 
 This time, we didn't visited the national historical park but visited the Hulihee Palace in Kona. We can't see the inside of the palace, but the building itself was beautiful and modern. I deamed to live in such beautiful house. In fact, it was not very very big palace.
Hulihee palace

 In Kona, we had relaxing time. We stayed at the cafe next to the ocean for a while... What a peaceful moment! (compare to the hard driving the night before).
The scenery from the cafe by the sea
 As my friend wanted to buy the Kona coffee, we visit several coffee shops in Kona. We found one shop and talked with a shop keeper. He explained some coffee types and gave us tasting samples. It was fun to listen to his talk. I dream to live in Big Island and have an organic farm. So it must be nice to have a contact of a guy who knows how to cultivate the land, I thought. His explanation was interesting and the coffee was good although I prefer stronger taste like European style espresso. (I got addicted to the espresso when I was in Geneva, Switzerland). 
Joe (a shop keeper of the coffee shop: right) and me (left).
My friend liked Big Island very much. She said that we had a supporting god during the travel. Maybe... yes. I always feel so fun to see around in Big Island. I am impressed nature and history each time I visit Big Island. I hope I can come back to Big Island someday.

No comments: